Today we remember Jesus’ death on the cross. Here are a few reasons why Good Friday is so good:
Through Jesus’ death…
- Jesus took the wrath of God and absorbed it.1 John 4:10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
- God demonstrated His love for us. Ephesians 5:2 Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
- God forgave our sins. Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses.
- God took away our condemnation. Romans 8:34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died- more than that, who was raised- who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
- God made a way for us to have faith and to remain faithful. Jeremiah 32:40 I will make with them an everlasting covenant…And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me.
- God made a way for us to have eternal life if we believe in Him. John 3:16 For God so love the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
- God made a way for us to be reconciled with God. Romans 5:10 For if while wer were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, not that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.
- God made a way for us to be free from the slavery of Sin. Revelation 1:5-6 To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests of his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever.
- God made a way to ransom people from every tribe and language and people and nation. Revelation 5:9 Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.
- God made a way for us to be rescued from final judgement. Hebrews 9:28 Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him.
These are just a few reasons why Christ died. To read more on these points, or to see more reasons why Jesus died check out John Piper’s book called Fifty Reason Why Jesus Came To Die.